Friday 31 August 2012

Ready, Steady - GO!!!!

It is wonderful to see our Paralympians walking off with a variety of medals.   Inspirational is the only word I can think of here.   Sadly, we shall not see the whole Games because we are off to Spain on Tuesday.

I thought I had covered everything last year when I bought hi viz vests, a first aid kit for the car and a set of lamp bulbs.   I already had a warning triangle.   Britanny Ferries emailed me to say bonvoyage and included tips for the holiday.   It was then I read that in France you need one warning triangle but in Spain you need TWO!!!   Luckily Britanny Ferries sell these on board their ships so I can become legal once more.   At least I don't have to carry a breathalyser set for the French limit.

When we go we shall be taking some spices, cook books etc to compliment what is already provided in the house we rent.  This time we should keep our weight from increasing.   We have just bought the Hairy Dieters cook book and there are soem excellent recipes.   With this book and regular gym visits I may lose even more than the 2 stones I have already shed.   Watch this space  - but don't hold your breath!

This year we shall be spending two days in the beautiful city of Toledo that used to be the Spanish capital.   It is know for the peaceful co-existence of Muslims, Jews and Christians in mediaeval times.   The cathedral is the spiritual centre of the Spanish church.   It possesses some of the most wonderful and priceless paintings by artists renowned throughout the world.   But Toledo's claim to fame is that it was the home of the painter, El Greco.   Seeing some of his paintings, I can see why he is so venerated.   There is also a house where he is reputed to have lived and this contains some marvellous pictures, in particular the Tears of St Peter.

It is from the main square, Zocodover, that a tourist road train called the Zocotren leaves every half hour when you can enjoy a fun way of seeing Toledo.   The ride lasts 50 minutes and is well worth the ticket!

On arrival in Santander on the ferry we shall go to Hotel La Roca where we stayed twive last year.   When I booked our stay this year via Booking.com I got an email from the owner of the hotel asking which room we would like!   Safe to say that we are expected!

If you want updates on our visit to Spain visit my other blog, the Andalucia Report.   Just use this link:    http://keithalexanderinspain.blogspot.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment