Friday 10 August 2012

Olympics and Chickens

For the past 10 days I have been the temporary custodian of a rabbit, a guinea pig and three chickens.   Each day I have popped into the village to our friends' house to feed and water their livestock.   For the most part, my granddaughter, Ellie, dealt with the smaller creatures as she has experience in keeping rabbits.   My task was to see to the three chickens.

Now, when last entrusted with their care I copied the routine from August 2011.   I allowed the birds out.   Whilst I cleaned their containers and replenished them with food and water the birds would wander round the raspberry canes and jump up to grab occasional raspberries.   Getting them back to the coop was easy.   All I did was to bend down  and they crouched whilst I picked them up, one by one.

Back in February I was asked to look after them and so let them out as usual whilst I performed the tasks of topping up food and water.   But there was one awkward bird with a red ring who ran for it every time I approached.   I am not equipped to chase birds anymore!   Eventually I did, by stealth and guile, get her back to the coop.   All this activity and tension created asthma symptoms, so I was not best pleased at having so much trouble.   For the rest of the time I ensured they never left the coop!

For the past 9 days I have followed the same policy.   But today was so lovely and warm that I dropped my guard and, being the amiable fellow that I am, let the birds out for my final day in charge.   When it came time to get them back in the coop I approached them quietly and looked for the one with the red ring.   She was the troublesome one back in February.   There was a piece of body language that seemed to separate her from the others.   But I had been there before and grabbed her before she could dive behind nettles!   After this the other two were easy and soon there were 3 happy birds clucking away in the coop and sampling replenished food and drink.

So that was the excitement for the week?   Not a bit of it!   We were watching the Olympic Games and seeing our athletes doing incredibly well in their various sports.   Last Sunday was quite unbelievable.   After hoping against hope that Andy Murray would win Wimbledon each year we went crazy when he achieved a gold medal against Roger Federer.   Now there is proof he can win.   He even beat Novak Djokovic in the semi final!   Pity that he could not win a second gold medal in the mixed double with Laura Hobson.

Last night, Nicola Adams won a gold medal for boxing and here was another joyful occasion.   It all reminds me of the day we spent at the Commonwealth Games in Manchester and saw Jonathan Edwards and Paula Radcliffe win gold for England.   It was lovely weather and there was a very friendly crowd there to see the athletics.   There were no traffic problems because Manchester had such good plans to accommodate spectators and their cars.   We went early but didn't need to because everything appeared to be organised as if they had been doing it for years!

So this week ends successfully and peacefully and I forgive the chickens for previous misdemeanours and their poor record for laying eggs this time!   Our grandchildren have been returned home and peace returns to the Alexander household.   What bliss!

No comments:

Post a Comment