Friday 20 July 2012

Good Samaritans

This week saw Pauline's stress levels rise.   She had promised to paint a picture of the cottage our son-in-law's parents had once lived in whilst in service.   It is their Golden Wedding soon and Derek wanted to give them something different.   The clock was ticking and Pauline was getting more afraid of not being able to deliver on time.   It quickly became apparent that she would not finish in time for the painting to dry and be framed professionally.   The answer was to find a ready made photo frame that would fit.
I went on line and determined that I could buy a frame from Wilkinsons in Holyhead.   Pauline also needed some low odour white spirit for her painting work.   I could kill two birds with one stone if I could get some in Holyhead.   On Wednesday afternoon, whilst she went off with David and Liz to get a manicure etc, I drove over to Holyhead.   On the way I encountered a rock in the road and it punctured the front nearside tyre which was new the previous week.   The incident happened on a quiet narrow country lane.   My first thought was how to tell the RAC where I was as it is sometimes difficult to convey Welsh place names over the phone.   I was part way between Llanerchymedd and Trefor.
A car pulled up behind me and the driver asked what was the problem.   I explained and he just got out of his car and set about changing the wheel!   However, he was trying to raise the car with the jack without ensuring the jack was placed under the correct jacking point.   This meant that he simply dented the underside of the sill!   I managed to convince him to move the jack to the right place and the job went ahead.
Soon, the car was ready to drive again and I thanked the man very much.   I told him that not many people would have stopped to help in those circumstances.   His puzzled look told me he thought anyone would have done what he did.   That is the mark of a Good Samaritan!   What he did came quite naturally.
Next day I took the car to the tyre fitters in Bangor and they popped on a new tyre  and all was well.   All this was at no cost as the car is leased through Motability.   All's well that ends well.
Later today the new craft shop at Brynrefail has its official opening.   It is a venture by a new church in Anglesey called, appropriately, Good Gifts.   Once a month they meet to hold a service in the Roman Catholic church at Llangefni for young people with learning difficulties.   The craft shop is to sell goods created by people with learning difficulties and our friend, Lucy, is their champion knitter.   She makes some wonderful knitted scarves in many different colours.   Also on sale are other items from local painters and craftspeople who share the profit with the shop.
Next week is a busy time for our church in Amlwch as it is the time we hold our Flower Festival.   I am looking forward to seeing what inspirational designs are created.   This is our 32nd festival, which was the brainchild of the late Barbara Tudor back in the seventies.   In fact, at our Songs of Praise on the Sunday morning, we shall be remembering Barbara, who died last December, and dedicating a new flower stand for the church.   This is being given to the church in her memory by her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment